24 thoughts on “Video Blog on the Chi Town Half Marathon

1. Gia G.

Karen, allow yourself 24 hours to be sad and then remember why you are doing this. Cleveland!! Go get it.

2. Rob

Your thinking about this too much. One thing I have learned about racing is I know each race distance is not a measure of another one. For instance a 5k does not measure how you will do in a 10k. Some runners can run a 10k faster than a 5k because sometimes they need to warm up a little. It is the same thing with half and full marathons. They are completely two different races. You have to treat each kind of race differently. Visualize your marathon splits and you will do great.

1. Karen Post author

I know you’re right and I actually feel slightly embarrassed to even post my insecurities. BUT…you know me and how I get after a bad run. You have seen me through many. :) I appreciate your comment and I will let this one go and concentrate on Cleveland. Thanks, Rob!

3. Anna Hung

I can tell you are heart broken over this and your feelings are raw in this video so thank you for sharing. Dont let your doubts and emotion take over. Listen to your heart and your training and believe in it. I will be rooting for you from Texas! You will be awesome. #swirlsister

1. Karen Post author

Thank you, Anna. That means so much to me and I appreciate it. I can’t wait to meet you in June at Ragnar. Congratulations on your big race this past weekend. Love the pink shirt. xoxo

4. Sara

Hugs to you, sweetie. I know it doesn’t feel like it right now, but it’s really okay. Keep on training and you are still going to smash your marathon goal — I am sure of it. And if for some reason you don’t, we will all still love you and you will still inspire us. I am really impressed by your honesty, too. xoxoxoxo — Cheesy Runner Mom. :)

1. Karen Post author

Thank you, Sara. As soon as I posted it, I panicked and realized that may have been TOO honest. Thank you for the kind words and for always having my back. I can’t wait to watch you smash your first marathon. :)

5. bridget hill

Thanks for your honesty! I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets disappointed sometimes. I want to get a PR on a 5k I’m running Saturday but it’s not looking good

1. Karen Post author

Bridget, I feel like I am the one who shouldn’t be giving advice at the moment…BUT…do you best. As long as you know at the end you worked as hard as you could, that is all you can do. I hope you will update me Saturday. I would love to know how it went. :))) You can do it!

6. Cindy Shillair

You brought tears to my eyes! Agree with all previous comments. I think we all would feel the same way, no shame in that. Nothing a glass of wine can’t fix. Life happens…you never know what the future may bring! Best of luck!!

1. Karen Post author

That is so sweet, Cindy. Thank you!!!! I appreciate it so much. I hope this spring/summer FINALLY has us running together.

7. Michelle Niemeyer

Girlie, you know I love your honesty ♥ I have so much confidence in you and think you are absolutely amazing ♥ I really do! Thank you for keeping it real stay strong babe! You’ve totally got this!

1. Karen Post author

Michelle, You are so amazing and my life is better for having you in it. You are my inspiration and I would love to be as mentally and physically strong as you.

8. Janine

Aww, I’m sorry. You are stronger than you even realize. I’m sure not matter what your time is at Cleveland, it will be an amazing experience. I’m proud of you:-)

9. Jennifer Mullen

Don’t beat yourself up! I totally get being disappointed and heartbroken (been there!) but your performance in this race doesn’t mean you won’t hit your goal. I won’t say “suck it up” but I will say don’t let this past race dictate your mindset :-). This is why racing is so addictive for people, I’ve been chasing a new half marathon PR for 2 years and haven’t hit it yet- it’s so frustrating! I hope your upcoming training runs are encouraging and I’m sure everyone who is following you is rooting for you to hit your goal in Cleveland…

1. Karen Post author

Thank you so much, Jennifer. What you wrote is so true and it’s time to dust myself off and move forward. Just a race. :) I hope you hit that new PR soon.

10. Tom

We all have races where we did not achieve what we would of liked, Ms. Karen. The strong regroup and prepare to overcome. You are one of those strong ones. Rest and recover this week to be ready to fight the good fight in the Cleveland home stretch.

11. Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes

OMG, not sure how I missed this!! Karen, I know exactly how you feel. I know it was disappointing. It’s hard to work so hard and not meet your goal. You are an amazing runner and person and there will be other races! It killed me to watch you tear up in this. What’s most importatnt is that you have the ability to pick yourself up and try again. You are going to crush the Cleveland Marathon, and if you don’t? IT’s OK! Your kids love you, your hubby loves you, I love you!! Just have fun!!